Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Classy Traveler

Wow! I haven't posted in a long time, my bad! Running two blogs at one time is a lot harder than I thought it would be. But anyways, enough of my excuses. Whenever I am preparing for a trip I look for inspiration for what to wear when while traveling. Even though I may be spending my days walking around and seeing the sites, doesn't mean that I have to forgo my style. Much of my inspiration comes from old photographs of people traveling. It seems to me that people were classier back when the airline industry began to take off. They had a certain respect for traveling and arriving in style. This could be because only the wealthy could afford to travel, so therefore they would naturally always want to look their best. Now days, almost anyone can afford to travel, which means not everyone is so aware of their attire.
One of my goals when packing is to create outfits which do not scream, "Hi! I am an American tourist, look at me disrespect your culture!" I tend to pack classic clothing items such as; polo shirts, cardigens, a wrinkle free dress, a nice pair of jeans, blouses, moccasins, a trench coat/or a nice jacket, and for jewlary a pair of simple earings (such a pearls or my blue Murano glass earings from Italy), or a nice long necklace. I think the reason why many people don't bother dressing nicely while en route to their destination is because they want to be comfortable while on a seven hour flight, which is completely understandable. My solution to this problem is to wear a simple dress (usually a jersey knit fabric) with tights, scarf (for warmth on those cold planes) a cardigen, and flats. Sometimes I mix it up by wearing jeans with a simple tee shirt, cardigen, a scarf, and flats. I also replace the scarf with a necklace sometimes, although I always store a scarf in my carryon, incase it is needed.

Travel
Travel by the fairytale featuring Marc by Marc Jacobs bags
These two outfits are typical of what I would wear when traveling (although I did take some liberties by making these clothes my "dream" items). So what do you typically wear when traveling by plane?
Jem

1 comment:

  1. I am reminded of my first overseas trip where my mother forced us to wear tracksuit pants, ugly parkas and hideous "comfortable" brown shows the whole seven weeks around Europe. Because of course, you shouldn't be uncomfortable while travelling. Never mind that we looked like bag ladies amongst the beautiful people of Paris with their fashionable winter attire. It was horrible. Never again.

    Leggings and dresses is so the way to go, you're right there. Also, I am always secretly hoping for an upgrade (my goal in life) and this is highly unlikely if you are wearing ugly pants.

    I have discovered these super comfortable Turkish pants though, which still look kind of stylish (in a harem/hammer pants way... I know it sounds horrible, but they are pretty cool). Maybe some people thing they're ugly... I think they are cool :) Here's a pic of what they look like (mine are Turquoise) http://www.thaimokit.com/photo/MODE/pants/Harem-Pants-BEP5.jpg

    ReplyDelete